Thursday, March 25, 2010

I love Misery

I started Martial Arts when I was 5 years old. Ever since then I've been a closet martial arts geek. My fiance will tell there is no closet. I am a full out in the open martial arts geek. I started with Kenpo Karate, then went to Tae Kwon Do. When I first heard of the UFC in 1995 I put in an application. God was watching and I didn't get in. Something about not being big enough.Go figure.

I entered my first pro bare knuckle karate tournament in 1996. I then had my first Thai Boxing match in Canada in 1997. Ever since then I have been either competing or teaching MMA or Thai Kickboxing. They truly are two of the most exhausting sports you can compete in. A few years ago Lance Armstrong was working out at our gym. He joking looked at me after one of my sparring sessions and asked"When can I get you on a bike?" I smiled and said "the day I get you on the mat." I've had triathletes almost pass out after being on the mat for 2 minutes. At the same time, I don't even want to think about sitting on a bike for more than 30 minutes. To each his own I guess

I love training. As much as I love teaching, it's fun to mix it up with people who are a great deal better than you. Nick Gonzales, my sparring partner and good friend of 7 years(not to mention Renegades and XFC champion) has always been there when I need to get my butt kicked. If I can make it through a full round without getting tapped , I'm doin well. Here I made it out with maybe 1 second to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment