Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How much is too much?

I hate to admit it but I love gossip mags. Sure I can blame it on my clients or even say I'm getting them for Nicole. The truth is they're damn entertaining. With the success of the Biggest Loser and other similar contest it seems as though every couple of months my gossip mags have the latest rash of fat loss stories from celebrities to the common every day folk. Some are very inspiring. I myself was at one time very overweight. I'm not the tallest of men and the day I joined the Navy in 1994 I was 204 lbs. Needless to say I was taunted from day one. Over the course of my time in the military I developed a love for fitness and made up my mind that when I got out I would pursue a carreer in the fitness industry. Now some 18 years later I weigh about 160 and am doing just that. What I knew I could bring to the table that other trainers couldn't was an empathy for those that struggled with weight loss.
So as I read these stories I ask myself "What is realistic?" I've heard a pound a day. A pound a week. Who's to say for sure. Your weight loss or lack there of will be directly related to 2 things . First the ammount of time and effort you put in. Second , the ammount of distractions you give up. Well we know what that first one means right. You need to workout. Be active at least an hour a day. That second one is the killer. "What do I need to give up?" I hear this all the time. "I know what I need to be doing." So if you know , than what is the problem? The reality is most people don't realy know. I have a line that I use with all my new clients. "There are 24 hours in a day . 168 hours in a week. I see you for 3 of those hours. A great deal of what your body is going to look like will depend on what you do with the other 165 hours." In other words: What you're doing is not working. Lets try something new.
So realisticly what can you expect to lose? Well it all depends on how much you give up. If you give up a large portion of your current counterproductive diet and replace it with healthy lowfat,low starched,low sugar meals in conjuction with 3-5 high intensity workouts a week, The sky is the limit. Well maybe not the sky , but deffinitely some clouds up there.
So here is my own personal little tidbits:


ditch the diet coke
stay away from anything fried.
green=lean
eat high fiber
drink 6 glasses of water a day
don't eat after 7pm
allways have breakfast
jog for 30seconds followed by a 45 sec to a min sprint 10 times
lift weights 4 times a week
stay away from alcohol 5 days out of the week.

2 comments:

  1. I have often heard that a regimen of sprints is really effective for weight loss. Can you explain why that is? I mean, sprints as opposed to other kinds of workouts (long slow distance work, or pliometrics, or whatever...)

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. super G. I just saw this. Ok sprints work the best because they are actually a full body explosive movement. Ever tried to sprint with your arms glued to your side? The concept is to push your heart rate near your max heart rate and then bring it down and than back up and so on. What you create is a ladder effect where your end resting heat rate is higher than it was when you started. Like I ladder effect. Lets say you get to the airport. The ticket agent says your plane is about to leave you better run. So you sprint all out to the gate. Maybe it takes 2 min. what happens when you're done? you sweat and your heartrate is throughthe roof. essentially you will burn calories for the mine you sprinted as well as several minutes afterwards , also you will build the muscular endurance in your legs, and upper body. If you were to lightly jog it , you probably wouldn't even begin to burn calories. COME TAKE MY CLASS!!!!

    ReplyDelete