Saturday, May 30, 2009

A guy walks in to a doctors office holding his knee, he walks up to his doctor and says"hey Doc it hurts when I do this." He jumps up and down. His Doctor smiles and says"don't do that."

So a couple of weeks ago I watched one of my favorite workout partners come running back to the gym. She had a grimace on her face. She had been out running around town lake. As she hobbled up, I noticed she had Therapy tape(commonly used by physical therapist) running up and down her calf muscle. Obviously in a great deal of pain and in no mood for my jabs, she gave me the look. You know the look that says ......Don't even open your mouth. I get that look from my girlfriend when I've pushed it just a little too far. Anyway, so it leads me to this whole idea of why we miss the obvious. Listen to your body. Don't ignore that voice that screams................GIVE ME A BREAK!!! STOP RUNNING!!

I see so many people come to me and tell me that they're current running,cycling,lifting etc. activity is starting to cause pain in their bodies. I always try to steer them in an alternate direction. If running hurts, try to swim to break it up. If traditional lifts hurt, try balance and stability work to break it up. This deoesn't mean you can't come back to your previous routine. In fact, I encourage it. Give your body and mind a break. This doesn't mean you have to come to a screeching hault. Just take a different path. If your regular path to work is shut down do you just stop working? No, you find an alternative. Treat your body the same way. I love to mix things up. I use to (and still do sometimes) get serious tunnell vision. I'll turn around and find that I've been doing the same workout for the past 8 weeks. What helps me these days is a group people that I workout with on saturdays. I just come in a throw up a crazy routine and we go for it. I get cursed at, glared at, and laughed at. I'm telling you, I'm a little mental. Anyway , try one day a week to take a a few steps off the beaten path. Trust me. Try this routine that Jackie is doing. Try doing each exercise for 1 minute each(burning it out the last 10 seconds)

13 years ago when I started kickboxing, I walked in to the gym the day after a hard sparring session. I walked up to my coach Maurice Smith(UFC champion) and said "Mo, my head hurts today, what should I do?" He looked at me and rolled his eyes."try ducking" he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment