Friday, June 19, 2009

The Best Part of My Life

   Ocasionaly,  in the midst of working and going about my daily routine of training and listening to my clients, I forget the reason why I get up every morning. At 2:00pm when I'm done for the day it all comes back to me. At 2:01 I become Daddy. No more reps, no more weight, no more water breaks. It's now all about homework,swimming,riding a bike,drawing pictures,fishing and the art of fort making.  
   When  I found out my exwife was pregnant I was scared out of my mind. I had no idea what to do. I was afraid that I would miss out on something if I became a dad. I was a complete mess. I had just begun earning a living at personal training and in my selfishness I though having a child would somehow change all of that. I was an only child. I had no cousins that lived close. Babies were those annoying creatures in church, movies, and restaurants that made you want to get up and leave. I had an epiphany a month before Tommy was born.....My life was going to change. Well, it did. 
   I still have a great amount of passion for what I do. I wear shorts and tennis shoes all day long and get paid very well. I help people discover their inner athlete(I know it sounds cheesy). I watch people regain their self confidence. I watch people change their lives. Most importantly  my life in fitness has given me the ability to spend time with my son. I pick Tommy up everyday from school. I live to watch him come down the hallway with his class wearing a backpack bigger than his little body. I get to hear about his day. In these past 7 1/2 years the craziest thing happened. I became a "daddy". I never go out anymore, and I never feel like I miss out on anything. On the nights that Tommy is with his mom I'm restless. I can't sleep. I find myself in his room holding his pillow. It's humbling to love something so much that when your near it you are complete and in it's absence you're empty.  
    This Sunday is Fathers Day. The greatest day of the year! As it approaches it reminds me of how I got here. Doing what I love has given me the opportunity to spend time with the ones I love. So for Jenn(my savior) and Tommy(my angel) thank you for making this journey the best part of my life. 


   

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwwww....

    It's really nice to hear that. When I was younger, nothing irked me more than a screaming baby (I'd think "SHUT THAT KID UP!") Until my friends started having kids, I didn't have much exposure to them except in Walmart at 11pm (why aren't these kids in bed yet?) But now that my friends are having kids, I'm starting to see and hear that they're actually wonderful little beings.

    I'll be in there in a year or so I imagine. Hopefully timing it right for all my friends' kids to babysit.

    Have a happy Fathers Day, Daddy :)

    ReplyDelete