Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So the Saturday workouts continue. I overheard a new gym member tell one of our managers that she realy wanted work on her core. "do you have anybody who specializes in core work" To my disbelief this manager actually pushed them toward a certain trainer. Ok, so what is "core strength?" Very loosely put core strength, is the direct relationship in strength and balance between your back and abdomen while doing work. So, if you do a shoulder press while balancing on one leg while standing on a bosu you engage your core? Sort of. The reality of this movement is that it is not realistic. If you flip the bosu over so both of your feet are on the flat portion and then perform a shoulder press, you are actually going to engage your core in a more benificial way. So why over complicate things? I'm not completely sure. Let me say, that I love seeing people get inventive. However, you do need to be practical. Any trainer worth his weight can teach a client how to engage their core. If you are doing pushups and I tell you to pull your abs in tight then boom! your are engageing your core. What I am getting at is that all trainers know how to show clients how to engage their core. Correct form? core work Good posture? core work Keep your balance? core work. Like I've said before, don't overcomplicate things. Now if you want to try balancing on one leg ,while blindfolded, on the bosu, doing a shoulder press than have at it. Just understand it may hurt your knee and ankle. But your core will be ripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment