Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Before I start, several people have said...."so would you encourage Tommy to fight professionally as you have?" The answer is..... I would discourage it. If he did choose to pursue fighting I would make sure he was prepared and focused.  Even so, you can prepare 4 hours a day, 6 days a week and still be unsuccessful. 


 Now on to some fun stuff. I love working  sitting back and watching people workout. I try to figure out what is driving them . I also look at what they are doing or who their training with.  I read enough fitness magazines and fitness books that I can tell who has a subscription to Mens Health. I also can tell who is obsessed with "youtube". Myself included. I love to watch old Duran Duran videos. 
   What amazes me these days is that so many people try to reinvent the wheel. 
  So here is my question to you:
If you stand on a bosu(blue boob) with one leg and do bicep curls what exactly are you accomplishing? 
Better yet, if you do an incline chest press with a medicine ball between your legs what exactly are you accomplishing?
Core? Blah Blah Blah Balance? Blah Blah Blah
 So lets talk about fitness. Fitness is your bodies ability or inability to do work. Now that is different for all of us.  Last year I got a chance to roll(jui jitsu) with a Hawaian ironman participant. Dimitri is in phenominal shape. He does ultra marathons in his spare time. When I got him on the mat, he lasted about 3 minutes before he completely gassed out. At the same time, he would kill me running. So who is more fit? Well, we both are, for our individual sports. I do some grueling workouts that are designed to prepare my body for combat in the ring. Not everyone needs to do those types of workouts.
  Dimitri had his workouts designed around running. Those workouts made sense for him. 
In return he was a successful at his sport.
   So what is your goal? I know ,the standard trainer question. Lose weight? Get stronger? Run faster? Run longer? Play with your kids? Only you know. When I design workouts I like to work "top 2 bottom" if my clients goal is to get more overall  fit and lose weight. I suggest they do these workouts 3 days a week. So for those of you who want to mix it up. Try this (no silly bosu or power plate nonsense)

Incline dumbell chest press 20 reps
Single arm dumbell row(right) 20 reps
Single arm dumbell row(left)20 reps
Scissor jumps 20 reps
cross body crunch 20 reps
Shoulder press 20 reps
Weighted squats 20 reps
Crunches 20 reps
Squat and Press  combo 20 reps
Single leg dead lift(right) 20 reps
Single Leg dead lift(left) 20 reps
Bicep curls 20 reps
Dips   20 reps
Crunches 20 reps

This is 1 circuit. No break in between exercises. Upon completion of  the full set, take 2 minutes and then repeat the whole set.

Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment