Monday, March 9, 2009

Welcome to Austin Fitness Extreme

Hello everyone. I started this blog to hopefully increase the interest in Austin Fitness Extreme as well as keep myself  versed on all the new trends and questions you guys may have about fitness, working out,diet or just about anything. I hope this continual blog will be informative, humble, and at times funny. So please, tell me what you think. 


  First off a little background. When I was 18 I got my first gym membership(Golds gym College Station, TX) I loved sports growing up. I was just a little too lazy to play sports once I got into high school. I was way more interested in girls and parties. Once I graduated from high school, I joined my roommates in working out at Golds. My goal was to  check out girls and hopefully make myself a little stronger. I had a basic routine:

shoulder press
barbell curls
lat pull downs
leg extensions
leg curls
machine chest press
crunches

I repeated this 6 days a week. Within about 12 days my whole body was sore. There was no cardio, or stretching whatsoever. Needless to say my diet consisted of beer,mexican food, and burgers. I worked out and then I ate. I had no direction. One day while doing one of my routines I noticed a couple of bodybuilders working out. They were huge, strong and most importantly had girls with them.  I immediately went to the grocery store and bought the newest copy of FLEX, Muscular development, and Ironman. I looked at the pictures. I read the workouts. I became obsessed. Little did I know that these guys had a little bit of "help". As i started doing Dorian Yates newest workout , I started befriending the bodybuilders in the gym. I still had very little direction. One day a guy name Tony Ang saw me working out and decided to help me out. That day started a long friendship. Tony was a natural bodybuilder. I wanted to be as big as Tony  yet I didn't want to put in the work he had.
  In 1993 I did my first cycle of steroids. I stacked sostanon and prematest for 3 weeks on 1 week off. Tony was completely against it. He tormented me calling me a cheat. Yet he stayed loyal to me. Within about 4 weeks my strength had tripled . So too did my hunger. I was ravenous. All the guys said"feed that hunger. That's what gets you bigger" Well, I got bigger. A great deal bigger. I weighed 205 lbs. This on a 5foot 4 inch frame.  For nearly 2 years I continued down this path. I looked bad. In 1995 I decided to join the Navy.  I was asked if my mass was natural and I admitted it wasn't.  I was given 3 months to clean up. The day I reported for boot camp I weighed 195 lbs.  I was way out of bodyfat standards. It was embarassing. Even more embarassing was that I couldn't run the 1 1/2 mile in the max allotted time of 14 min.  Every morning, myself and everyone else that was out of bodyweight standards was directed to workout extra before breakfast. It was announced on a loud speaker. "Now muster the fat kids on the quarter deck" . I was ashamed. Yet I was very motivated. By the end of boot camp(8 1/2 weeks) I was down to 175 lbs.  Once I got assigned to a school I started running and working out on a regular basis.  I still used a great deal of my knowledge from my bodybuilding days but I still struggled with my weight.  One day I picked up a copy of a diet book.  I started changing my diet right away. Within a year I was down to 160 lbs. The light bulb went off in my head. Everyones level of fitness has a 3 part equation. Diet, cardio and resistance training. Your body will reflect whatever direction you take it in. So many people train like a body bulider, yet eat like a marathon runner and do no cardio. It's craziness. Identify your goals  and determine which direction you want to head.  
   I took this concept and ran with it. While in the Navy I volunteered for the collateral duty of PRT coordinator. I was responsible for scheduling our ships physical readiness test as well as getting those who failed back in shape. I knew when I got out, 4 years 9 months and 3 day later what I wanted to do. I picked up my family and moved to Austin to become a personal trainer. I've been here for the past 10 years, and I'm still learning. I started Austin Fitness Extreme to pass along my own personal twist to group fitness. In this blog I will share aspects of our workouts as well as my own. I'll throw in videos and pictures.

I love you guys


3 comments:

  1. Yeah for Austin Fitness Extreme! I hope everyone contributes to this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom -- thanks for sharing the story of how you got to where you are -- it's inspiring! - Pratibha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Tom, after watching you make the guys throw up on the aft missile deck, I am not surprised that you are in this line of work! I wish I had done some work outs with you on the ship. -Chief

    ReplyDelete