Sunday, March 15, 2009

I got a confession for you guys. I love reality TV. Seriously. I think I have an addiction. It started with the bachelor. It was completely insane. We as a coulture are obsessed with seeing heartache on Tv as well as getting the chance to be on TV. No matter how horrible,despicable,gross, or nasty. I myself tried out for season 3 of "The Ultimate Fighter".  Sometimes you can't help but watch a train wreck. Don't lie people, "Rock of Love" is a little entertaining. If for nothing other than checking out all the different ways you can rotate"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" into 60 min.
     When I heard of The Biggest Loser I was intrigued. Once I found out they kicked people off when they didn't lose enough weight , I was completely turned off.  But, I was finally convinced to watch about 2 years ago. After crying like a baby for more than half of the hour I realized I was officially hooked.  The Bigggest Loser shows all of us that being overweight is much more than just being lazy. 
   Once the participants on the show are able to focus themselves it's amazing what they can do. Our bodies can do some incredible stuff.  About 13 years ago while working out at the Chicago Fitness Center, I saw some guys doing a series of jumps onto platforms. It was crazy. They weren't basketball players, or football players, or even fighters. They were actually in the ballet. I tried jumping up on a 24 inch box and racked my shins as well as bruised my ego. These guys were jumping on top of 36 inch platforms for 10 reps at a time.  I was determined to master this thing called plyometrics.  The explosive movements involved in plyometrics is designed to create explosive power and strength. One of the great benefits of this is that plyometrics gets your heart rate elevated and helps you burn calories at a much higher rate. 
The draw back is that much like my shins and ego, you can hurt yourself. It's all about moderation. Anyone can do plyometrics.  Last week on The Biggest Loser, I saw people jumping on top of a  24 inch platform for reps. Impressive!
   Every morning I make Austin Fitness Extreme jump in one form or another. If you get a chance try this out at home or in the gym


5 jumping squats
5 clapping pushups(as you push your upper body up clap your hands together)
5 crunches
10 jumping squats
10 clapping pushups
10 crunches
15 jumping squats
15 clapping pushups
15 crunches
20 jumping squats
20 clapping pushups
20 crunches

Do all reps with no break. Once you do your last set rep of 20 crunches, take a 2 minute break, and then go in reverse order(20 reps,15 reps,10,reps,5 reps) back down.

Good Luck

1 comment:

  1. Just curious-- why the crunches? is there a specific way to do them that makes them plyometric as well, or are they a pseudo-rest break that benefits the core?

    ReplyDelete