Friday, March 20, 2009

    It is finally starting to warm up again in Austin. It's about time. Those outdoor workouts are calling my name. 

    I was in Eisteins yesterday getting myself a bacon, egg, and cheese on toasted wheat bread and i noticed the person in front of me getting a box of bagels for work(at least I hope it was work). This person got themselves a bowl of fruit and blueberry bagel caked with creme cheese. They washed it all down with a diet coke. What caught my eye was that they were filling out a diet log as they ate. I am all about the diet log. Later in the day I sat down with one of my clients who was concerned about their weight loss.  I tend to be pretty blunt so I broke it down for them very simply. "There are 168 hours in a week. I see you 2 of those hours. A great deal of what your body looks like will depend on what you do with the other 166 hours."
     You need to :feed your body,test your body ,and rest your body. If you skip out or overindulge in any of those it can truly affect your energy and progress.  So what is the hidden danger out there? 
First off: Fat free doesn't mean calorie free! Stay away from saturated fats! Look at your sugar intake. Sugar raises your insulin levels. When your insulin levels are elevated your body doesn't burn fat.  So for all you smoothie people out there. Be careful. I know it sounds healthy, but many of those smoothies are loaded in sugar. 
     As the weather gets warmer take some of those workouts outside. Sprints are wonderful. Here in Austin we have several hills I love to torture my clients with.My favorites are the 7th street hill and the spicewood and 360 hill. Try sprinting up hills. Watch for traffic. Take a medicine ball with you and do side 2 side pushups for 30 seconds and then sprint up the hill. Do this for 6 sets. Take a 2 minute break and then do squats with the medicine ball and then jog up the hill backwards. Try that 3 sets. When your done get some food. NO SMOOTHIES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment