Wednesday, April 22, 2009

coordination. Not my strong suit. I've been working out for years and coordination just doesn't always work for me. Take something as simple as jumping rope. I've had kickboxing instructors pull their hair out trying to figure how I can be so ungracefull. I was training a 12 year old boy about a year ago for soccer and his parents biggest concern was his footwork. They knew he wasn't going to be a phenominal athlete, they just didn't want him to seem like he was falling all over himself. Most kids go through an awkward phase. We all know what it was like. Some of us, like myself, will always have a problem with certain things. For this particular young man I brought out an agility ladder. I had him do some basic footwork drills over and over again. Twice a week we worked on footwork and it gradually improved. When I first started using the agility ladder, I thought it looked very similar to hopscotch. I have used the agility ladder in my personal training to help "mix it up" as well as help improve clients footwork and speed skills. There are a ton of things you can do with these ladders. I've let Kristen demo a few simple maneuvers. To make this miserable put a resistance band around your ankles. Or even try doing these movements with your hands. Pure misery. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment