Thursday, April 9, 2009

I get so many groans when I tell my clients "TOYS R US  hill tomorrrow" It is by far one of our more miserable days. Behind Toys R Us  is a (1/4 mile) hill that even cars have a tough time getting up. On the days that I feel twisted, I bring Austin Fitness Extreme to this hill. We start off with 10-20 minutes of full body conditioning and then go straight to the hill. Sprint,jog,run backwards,lunge,suicides you name it we do it all. By the end, we're completely wiped.  Like I said before, I hate running, but I love the misery.
     With this misery comes the ever present muscle soreness. I have always been a big proponent of stretching. When asked if I do yoga I always say that I stretch for free. My body takes a hell of a beating on a daily basis. Between grappling, getting hit, and working out I usually look like a 80 year old when I get up in the morning. I usually take about 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening to stretch out. I use a foam roller to help push out my back muscles and roll out my IT band. 
   So, is stretching good or bad? I believe stretching is very good for your body in general. I don't believe you should ever bounce when you stretch. Post workout is a big concern. In theory, your muscles will be pumped full of blood. Your body has been fatigued. Stretching could push your muscles too far and your joints could be stretched to far.  There has been recent studies that have raised this very arguement. I can't say that I disagree with this. I am a big believer in stretching at the end of the day. Before you go to bed get a good long stretch. Massages are great.  Yoga, while I don't do it myself, is very good for the fluidity. I love the transitions in yoga and incorporate those same movements into my morning and evening stretches.

No comments:

Post a Comment