Thursday, April 16, 2009

One of the first things i did when I decided to start Austin Fitness Extreme was look at the growing trends out there in the fitness world. Many years ago, when I was stationed in Everett, Washington while in the Navy I had the good fortune to spend a weekend with three Russian MMA fighters. They had just opened up a new fitness facility that had these horrible things called Kettlebells. Up until then the only pictures I had ever seen of kettlebells were in old bodybuilding books and magazines. The circus strongmen were using them. I was more sore than I had ever been after an hour with these "bowling balls with handles" . 7 years later here I was trying to look for something new and the only thing I could think of was kettlebells. The ironic thing is that kettlebells have been around since way before the first americanized fitness facility. When I bought them I had to order them from Pro Performance and have them shipped here. Now they are everywhere. Target sells them. At Academy I saw a rubber kettlebell for women just yesterday. Who knew. The gym I work at, gave me crazy looks when I started bringing in kettlebells 3 years ago. Just 2 weeks ago they bought a set for the gym. Again, who knew? Much like any resistance based exercise, I have a number of women that ask me if doing kettlebells will make them get bigger. Like I've always said, you have to eat a certain way, and lift a certain way to get "big" Kettlebells done in a circuit can give you an amazing cardio workout. One of my favorite beginning circuits is:

2 handed kettlebells swings 45 seconds

right arm kettlebell swings 45 seconds

left arm kettlebell swings 45 seconds

alternating arm kettlebell swings 45 seconds

jump with and jump without the kettlebell 45 seconds

try that on for size.

If Kristin can do it, you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment