Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What do you do when you've hit a plateau? It happens to all of us. We've reached the a sticking point. We don't feel we're improving anymore. It's happened to me. What do I do? I mix it up. I change tactics. For myself I try to train 4 days a week. I keep my workouts pretty intense. I tend to take 3 circuits and perform them three times through during any given workout session. As I've gotten older I've realized it's more about the quality of your workout than the quantity of your workout. You need to be efficient. I like to do cicuits that encorporate my upper and lower body. I realized I can keep my overall heartrate elevated while I move from one body part to another. For instance I'll perform 10 reps of side to side pushups on a medicine ball and than go straight into plyometric box hops. If I'm feeling real sadistic I'll throw in a set of pullups, kettlebell swings, bicep curls, and dips. All done back to back no break. What I've found is that my overall conditioning goes up and my 1 rep max turns into a 3 rep max. I do put several of my clients through similar workouts. I tend to subscribe to a "time" based way of training. Rather than count reps, I watch the clock. 1 minute last exactly 60 seconds no matter how you cut it. You can't rush the clock. My circuits tend to run 3 to 5 minutes from start to finish. At the end I've been running at a 12 incline for 5 minutes on the treadmill. When I'm done, I am completely spent.

If you feel like you've hit a sticking point try mixing it up as much as possible. Do all body weight exercises for an hour. Mix up the order of your sets. Take one day to do nothing but plyometrics. And thank God that you're aren't Dan is this video. I'm telling you, I'm sick. Dans a little bit of a freak anyway. And can you believe, he's actually a gamer. Dan owns Red Fly Studio and makes video games for a living. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment