Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Everyday I see the same group of people come walking through the gym in the morning and evening. They are usually in flipflops, and carrying rolled up mats. It's our yoga crowd. For years I have heard of all the different types of yoga. Hot yoga,cold yoga, hatha yoga, ashtanga yoga. And that's just the ones I remember. I think the impression has always been that I don't appreciate yoga. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Not only do I like yoga, but I encorporate yoga into my own personal workouts as well as those of my clients. I think I have 10 books about yoga. I love yogas fluidity and harmony. I know what I've said..."I don't take yoga classes because I can stretch at home for free". Well that mindest would put me out of business in a heartbeat. I want people to find an inner connection with their own bodies. Don't laugh, I'm serious. When your body and mind gel into fluid motion there is no greater feeling. Remember resistance training is essentially completely stretching your muscles out and then adding varying resistance to that muscles contraction. The more you stretch, the more you contract. How can I get more flexible? I used to be able to do the splits. My back is always sore. My hamstrings are tight. What do I do?STRETCH! Take a yoga class. Every morning most of us have a daily routine. Wake up. Pot of coffee. Breakfast. Brush teeth. Shave. Comb hair. As part of everyones daily routine , we should all do an assortment of stretches. Nothing to fancy. No headstands. Just some daily stretches to keep our bodies flexible. Every morning I stretch for about 10 minutes. If I didn't, I'd never be able to stand up straight. To help with this video I called up my favorite yoga instructor Gioconda. Gio is performing some basic yoga stretches and transitions. I will hopefully add some more sport specific routines as the months progress. Please feel free to contact her at http://www.giocondayoga.com/ she is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment